Monday, December 13, 2010
Chip Baskin
Today marks the 3 year anniversary of the death of my father, Everette Ellis Baskin, Jr. who just went by Chip. For those of you who do not know me very well, I did not have a good relationship with Chip. My parents divorced when I was very young (less than a year old). Due to Chip's drug addiction, my mom, of course, got sole custody of me and any and all visits with Chip had to be chaperoned by either one of my Aunts or Grandmother. I would have loved to have the kind of father who was "straight" and could make it to some of the biggest things in my life, like my wedding. However, to know Chip while he was "straight" (which only occurred a few months a time) you would never guess of his addictions. He was a very charming person who made friends and could always hold a steady job. The second he turned to drugs, he lost all of that and hurt those who loved him the most (especially my Grandparents who tried everything to get him to be completely clean by multiple rehabs, etc.) The picture above was the last outing I had with Chip (they were very far and few in between). He had always mentioned how he wanted to take me to a Tiger's football game. Finally, in Oct. of 2007, we were able to go. I'm so glad that I went. Little did I know it would be the last outing we would share together. I'm also very glad that I take pictures at all events, this is the last good picture of him. After we went to the game, he said it was the best day of his life and how he loved every minute of it. That meant a lot to me. I had long ago gotten to a point in my walk with Christ where I had forgiven Chip for all the wrongs he had done and would continue to do (or so I thought he would). That doesn't mean that it didn't hurt when he would once again succumb to addictions. I guess you could say that through my relationship with my biological father, I have really learned to lean on my Heavenly Father who NEVER leaves or forsakes you but encourages you and loves you more than anything you could ever imagine. I would also like to take time to say that I am so thankful that my child (and hopefully, someday, children) will never know what it's like to have a father like the one that I had. Even while Trenten is physically away, he is still an excellent father and makes time for Breyten by talking to him on the phone, making DVD's of himself reading books to him, and making sure that he is provided for adequately. All in all, I am very thankful for the good times I was able to spend with Chip while he was alive.
~Ashton
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment