Monday, March 7, 2011

Brey's 6 month check-up

So, Breyten went for his well-baby check-up today. He is 17 pounds 8 ounces (40%) and 27.5 inches long (61%). He is a "perfect and happy baby" according to the doctor, except for 2 things. 


One, he is not sleeping through the night. The doctor was so concerned upon hearing this, she asked for how many weeks had he not slept through the night. I wanted to say, "Weeks, try 6 months..." but I simply stated that he had never slept through the night. She said that it was normal for babies to wake up throughout the night but by this age they should be able to fall back to sleep by themselves. Well, that's all good in theory, but Breyten can only do that maybe 10% of the time. For the past couple of weeks, when he has started to cry at night, I wait to see how long it takes him to go back to sleep before I go in. If he isn't asleep by the maximum of 20 minutes (which at this time is always bloody-murder type crying), I get him out of bed and the instant I pick him up, he stops crying. He is a very touch-oriented baby. He doesn't want a passie at night, he wants me whether I am holding him or just holding his hand. Since it's just been the 2 of us for the past 6 and 1/2 months, I don't mind sleeping with him even if that means not getting good rest for me. But, Trenten comes home in 2 and 1/2 months, and we can't do that. There isn't room in the bed for me, Trenten, and Breyten. However, we are about to go to Memphis for 10 days and anything I start training him now, will be out the window upon traveling due to the fact that he doesn't sleep well at all in new places. There was a time way back before my Thanksgiving travels that he was starting to sleep through the night, but all the traveling to see family and friends really messed that up and he hasn't since... 


The second thing is that his circumcision has closed incorrectly. I was really frustrated hearing this because I have been tot he doctor with him 4 different times and each time I have asked if it looked ok. Each time, they always said "it's normal". Well, I was right, it didn't look right. But, she was able to show me how to re-open the part that had incorrectly closed and he wouldn't need another surgery. She started working on it in the office, and it didn't seem to cause him any pain, so that is good. I'm confident that it won't be long for it to heal correctly, just need to use some of my RN skills. I am glad that we did this though, I know that there are lots of parents who have decided to not get circumcision for their boys. It's a very personal decision for any family, and Trenten and I are confident in ours and the reasons why (if you have questions, you can always email me). 


Also, I watched that show "Coming Home" on Lifetime. If you ever get a chance, you should watch it. I can't wait until our hero "comes home"! 





No comments:

Post a Comment