Saturday, January 8, 2011
4 month check up...
Today we went for Breyten's 4 month check-up. He will actually be 5 months next week, but there was a long waiting list. I do have to say that so far Tri-care has been fantastic, and all the doctors, nurses, and even secretaries have been so great. We showed up at the clinic almost 2 hours before our actual appointment (due to the fact that (a) I was out doing errands, (b) an extremely weird snow storm hit (only lasted maybe 20 minutes, but I didn't know it was going to go away so quickly) and since I was already out I just decided to get to the doctors..., and (c) Breyten was sleeping in the car. Well, they didn't make us wait! I checked in and was called within 5 minutes. Breyten is doing very well, thanks to me (and God, of course!) He has hit all major milestones for his age (rolling over, reaching for objects, laughing out loud, etc.) And, he is now 15 pounds 2 ounces (40th percentile) and 26 1/4 inches long (80th percentile). Wow! What a difference from his 2 month checkup where he was underweight. Definitely a huge relief to me that he is doing so well. Also, a big difference taking a 2 month old (who will just lie there and smile occasionally) to a doctor's office than an almost 5 month old (who will try to roll off the table and eat the paper they are lying on and ripping up). The pediatrician was so nice and understanding. She was very encouraging to me (she knew that his dad had been deployed since he was 16 days old). She kept saying what a great job I was doing and what a great baby Breyten is. It was very nice to hear! Then, he had to get 5 vaccines... My reaction to these sets of shots was a lot different than the last time. I cried last time. This time, I had to stop myself from laughing out loud (I know, I'm the world's "best" mother...) His little face got so scrunched up and turned so red AFTER the shots were already over with (took a little bit for him to register what had happened :( Then, the crying began. All the way to pharmacy and during our wait in the pharmacy. It was really packed, and it was a long wait (tri-care pharmacies are usually in the same building as the clinics). So, I tried to rock Breyten, stand and walk around, bounce with him. Nothing worked. I knew what would, but unfortunately, both passies had fallen to the clinic's floor and I was not putting those germs into his mouth even after rinsing/wiping off. Finally, an older woman came up to me and asked if she could help me with anything. It was so nice! I needed to put my coat on which was in Breyten's car seat. I asked her to hold Breyten (don't worry, I could have out run her if she tried to take the screaming-bloody-murder baby which she wouldn't have). The very SECOND she held him, he stopped crying! What an angel that woman was (maybe literally?!?) She held him (right by my side of course) the whole rest of the wait and while I was getting the meds (right by me again). I told her how thankful I was for her help (I'm sure everyone else in the waiting room was thankful too.) Then, we came home and I got to talk to Trenten :) Breyten and I snuggled on the couch until he fell asleep. A very much needed relaxing evening for me :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment